"Check your moral compass frequently. If you do not know who you are before walking into a situation, you may not like who you are when you are finished."
- General Peter Pace (Submitted by LT Ryan Kilgo)
"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys."
- Sun Tzu (Submitted by Steven Locklar)
"To command is to serve, nothing more and nothing less."
- Andre Malraux (Submitted by Mark T. Magnussen, SGM USA (Ret))
"Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way."
- General George S. Patton (Submitted by Mark T. Magnussen, SGM USA (Ret))
"If the success of these institutions should form the basis of future and important improvements, which may judiciously be extended to our free schools; if they should supply better teachers from their alumni; if they should suggest higher standards and better systems of morals;...or if they only awaken greater ardor in the people to advance the cause of education' they will achieve more for the weal and honor of our state than all the other labors and appliances of government could in any other manner confer."
- Quote from Governor J. P. Richardson's letter to the South Carolina General Assembly advocating the establishment of the South Carolina Military Academy, which was accomplished December 20, 1842. (Submitted by Glen Baldwin)
"Nobody cares how much you know until they know how much you care."
- LTG Michael Ferriter (Spoken at The Citadel's Annual Leadership Symposium)
"Success only comes before Work in the dictionary."
- Vince Lombardi (Submitted by Wally Ward, '86)
"1. People buy into the leader before they buy into the vision. 2. To add value to others, one must first value others. 3. A leader is great, not because of his or her power, but because of his or her ability to empower others. 4. A leader is someone who knows the way, goes the way, and shows the way."
- John Maxwell (Submitted by Tracy Meyers)
"You never know what life is like, until you have lived it."
- Marilyn Monroe (Submitted by Suzanne Vick)
"A man who wants to lead the orchestra must turn his back on the crowd."
- Max Lucado (Submitted by Ashton Bracey)
"All warfare is based on deception."
- Sun Tzu (Anonymous submission)
"Lead Like Jesus."
- Ken Blanchard & Phil Hodges (Submitted by James V. Mazzone '60)
"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader."
- John Quincy Adams (Submitted by Karen Pressley)
"The function of leadership is to produce more leaders, not more followers."
- Ralph Nader (Submitted by Matt Fillmore)
"Leading by example is a powerful thing, if you want something to be done to the 110th percent, then try your best to lead by the 111th percent."
- Brody Stofflet (Submitted by Brody Stofflet)
"Consensus is an absence of leadership."
- Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher (Submitted by Mark Newsome)
"If the leader is filled with high ambition and if he pursues his aims with audacity and strength of will, he will reach them in spite of all obstacles."
- Karl Von Clausewitz (Submitted by Nick Slater)
"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world."
- Anne Frank (Submitted by Amy Brennan)
"A clay pot sitting in the sun will always be a clay pot. It has to go through the white heat of the furnace to become porcelain."
- Mildred W. Struven (Submitted by Deidra Stillwagoner)
"There are no great men, there are only great challenges that ordinary men are forced by circumstances to meet."
- Admiral William F Halsey (Submitted by John Munn '67)
"Be shepherds of God's flock that is under your care, serving as overseers-not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not greedy for money, but eager to serve; not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock. And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away."
- 1 Peter 5:2-4 (Submitted by Nathaniel Madden)
"Big Brother is watching you."
- George Orwell (Anonymous submission)
"If you think you're a leader, and no one is following, then you are just taking a walk in the park."
- Afghan Proverb (Anonymous submission)
"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more, and become more, then you are a leader."
- John Quincy Adams (Submitted by Bob Mogavero)
"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died.Rather we should Thank God that such men lived."
- General George S. Patton (Submitted by Dylan Wood)
"True happiness...is not attained through self-gratification, but through fidelity to a worthy purpose."
- Helen Keller (Submitted by Dana Wood)
"Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower."
- Steve Jobs (Submitted by Anthony C.)
"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If I am not for others, who am I? If not now, when?"
- Hillel (Submitted by Joelle Neulander)
"There's something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty."
- Winston Churchill (Submitted by Alex Cooper)
"What lies behind us & what lis before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."
- Emerson (Submitted by Anthony C.)
"Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way!"
- Gen. George Patton (Submitted by Peter Wertimer)
"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."
- John F. Kennedy (Submitted by Joshua Dvorak)
"He who has never learned to obey cannot be a good commander."
- Aristotle (Submitted by Edward Sieban)
"Lead with optimism, enthusiasm and positive energy, guard against pessimism and weed out negativity."
- Jon Gordon (Submitted by Allison Dean Love)
"Rank does not confer privilege or give power. It imposes responsibility."
- Peter Drucker (Submitted by Phil Warner)
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
- Martin Luther King, Jr. (Submitted by Yolanda Johnson)
"A genuine leader is not a searcher for consensus but a molder of consensus."
- Martin Luther King, Jr. (Submitted by Elliot Long)
"To lead the people, walk behind them."
- Lao Tzu (Submitted by Carly Bess Williams)
"Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn’t even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back."
- Heraclitus (Submitted by Wyatt Wilkerson)